Lunes, Pebrero 24, 2014

Science Storytellers

Science, for me, is knowledge. It is basically knowledge. I love being knowledgeable. I enjoy leaning something new and I am amused by science, but it is not my area of interest. I can already see that it is not the path that I will be travelling. It is not the field wherein I can contribute something for my country. Speaking of my country and science, the science education in the Philippines is not such a good stuff. The significant detail to it is that, we don’t have a science museum—not until The Mind Museum was established in Taguig City. Hooray for science! Hooray for those who love and will love science! Science may not be the field that I want but at least by writing something about it, I hope l could engage others who have the heart and ability to help the country with science.

Science is the story of the universe. This is the statement of the mind movers, or science storytellers as they translated it, when they lectured about Creative Science Communication. Science shouldn’t be something to be afraid of, science as they discuss it is a very engaging tale of our universe. The mind movers from The Mind Museum talked about the divisions of the said museum. They pointed out that the divisions are not arranged by field of science, but by: Atom, Life, Earth, Universe, and Technology. The storytelling is therefore not like teaching science in school. Also, the people and children visiting the museum are not called as ‘customers’ instead they are called as ‘guest learners’.

Engagement, curiosity, wonder, show. Lecturing about science may be quite boring. So mind movers use these four things in order to tell the story of science to people. According to them, guest learners should be engaged and their curiosity and sense of wonder should be present in order for them to learn. And to get their attention, mind movers have shows. These shows are like experiments (which uses things found at home, mostly) that leave amazement in the guest learners’ faces. Such a very nice way to communicate science, isn’t it?

Creative communication is needed for making people listen and learn. It is applicable not only in science, but also in other fields of knowledge, and all the things in the world. Without those four things, communication will not be effective. I remember the guest speakers telling us the story behind the light from the sun. They said, the speed of light is so fast, but light travels an average of 50 million years before it reaches the center of the sun. So wonderfully, the light we see in the sky is from 50 million years ago. We technically look at the past. The mind movers are also funny; they taught us how to dance the stages of matter. They said, science terms are “just fancy names” and science is for everybody.

It was such a nice encounter with science. A nice encounter with knowledge, with wonder, with creativity, and with stories. I may not have a passion for science, but this encounter made me say ‘wow’ with feelings. And that’s the goal of creative communication. I therefore say, they did a good storytelling.

Keanne Samar, 2013-16445

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento